Monday, October 14, 2013

The Viking Helmet (Part 4)


This is PART FOUR of my excursion into the arcane world of metalworking. .

This is where I get ambitious and am cast down with a mighty vengeance for my insolence. . So. .I had to start over..  .But it's ok because I forgot a bunch of stuff and it was better to just start from scratch.

Here I am apologizing for the tank top.. It looked even worse in HD!


Here's the frame partially assembled. 


Mark which way is UP!


Here's where I screwed up. . I took the fine looking frame you see above and then went to the internet and got jealous of the cooler looking Spangenhelms I saw there. Most come to a slight point at the top, and also the frames bend down over the panels. 

Well. . I thought I could just take the frame off, bend a point in it, then bend the thing lengthwise. That was a stupid thought, because of course you can't do that and still have a gradual curve (like shown in the pic above). . 

Because of this both my frames got all mangled and so I had to start over on the frame pieces. While I was doing that I decided to go ahead and mark and drill all the holes while I still had the piece flat and unattached. 

DON'T DO THIS!


Laughing at my mangled crosspiece. 


Measure and mark out the holes. 

Here's the video


No comments:

Post a Comment